Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

salade de pommes de terre (aka potato salad)

Potato salad is one of my favorite summer foods, my mom's potato salad in particular. Since that's a family secret (I'd be disinherited if I shared) I'll share with you a lovely "French" version that you don't have to worry about spoilage with - it's olive oil not mayonnaise based. Anyway, away we go:

"French" Potato Salad

2 lbs small white, red or fingerling potatoes
1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
1 tbsp fresh Tarragon finely chopped

Clean and boil potatoes, whole, until tender (about 30 minutes on high heat)
While the potatoes are cooking mix dressing (vinegar and olive oil) with food processor or hand blender, add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

*it's my experience, and my mom's advice, that potatoes tend to need a bit of salt. My suggestion add salt slowly, you can put more in after you've mixed your potato salad but you can't take it out. And you really won't know if it's too little or too much salt until after you've mixed the salad. Also, one last note - if you do happen to put too much salt in you can cut the salty taste by adding sugar.

Cool the potatoes away from the heat, if you're in a hurry stick them in the freezer for a few minutes. Once the potatoes are cool cut them into large, diced chunks and add the dressing and tarragon. Taste and adjust your seasoning, then dig in.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for posting, this was good and I'm going to try to make it soon!

Gigi said...

you're welcome. it's really simple to make and you can use real wine if you want for the acid (instead of the vinegar).

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com