Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Roasted Roots

A few months ago I was up way too early on a Saturday watching Jamie at home, he made roasted carrots and beets and I was inspired.

Me being me, I had to go and slightly alter the recipe when I made it, okay the full truth is I forgot all of the steps and had to improvise.

Oven Roasted Root Vegetables

baby carrots
fingerling potatoes
beets (jarred or canned are fine, but if using fresh beets peel the outer skin, just be sure to wear gloves or your hands will turn red)

  1. Pre-heat oven to 425
  2. Cut potatoes and beets into large dice - you want your vegetables to all be about the same size so they cook at the same rate.
  3. Lightly coat bottom of roasting pan with olive oil or cooking spray.
  4. Season carrots, beets and potatoes separately, with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and your choice of herb, I used rosemary and thyme. Add vegetables to roasting pan one at a time so that you have 3 columns.
  5. Roast for about 20 to 30 minutes - I used the toothpick test to check for doneness (if I can stick a toothpick in without it getting stuck or breaking than it's probably done - you want your vegetables to be tender, but still a little firm.
I served mine with a grilled steak, but this will go nice with just about any grilled or roasted meat.
If you want to check out the original recipe go here .

Another roasted vegetable to try is brussel sprouts, prep in basically the same way, but don't add the herbs.

2 comments:

layzbugs said...

I would do this with yellow beets, which are a bit more subtle....and oh-so-yummy.

Gigi said...

i never ever thought about using yellow beets, good tip.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com