Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

I <3 Pancakes!

Pancakes really are a perfect food any time of the day. I don’t usually make them from scratch because I somehow perceive the process as complicated, which it’s not. And after using pancake recipe in my copy of The Joy of Cooking, which I mocked (1 ¾ tablespoons baking powder, really Irma, why not just 2 tablespoons) I’m off of the instant mixes and back to making pancakes from scratch. Because the 1 ¾ tablespoons really did help create perfect pancakes – light, fluffy, buttery cakes that required no syrup or extra butter, but they do need a plate partner so make sure you have some bacon or sausage.

I made one little alteration to the original recipe, but that’s it.

Joy of Cooking (Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker © 2006) – Pancakes:

Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ¾ tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Combine together in a medium bowl:
1 ½ cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)

Mix the liquid ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients.

Spoon or drop by ¼ cup (for smaller pancakes) ½ cup for larger onto hot & greased griddle or skillet, cook over low to medium heat.

Make sure to let your cake edges cook before flipping, and only flip once.

Add-ins for banana walnut pancakes:
1 medium banana mashed added into liquid ingredients
½ cup chopped walnuts added into dry ingredients

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com