Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Oven Ban Temporarily Lifted

I had to lift the oven ban earlier in the week, three of our student assistants are going away to college and I’ve offered to cook them each something special before they leave for school. They are awesome kids and I wish them much luck as they go off to figure out this thing we call life, with out the daily support of their family and close friends. I remember being both excited and scared for college, so much so that I actually got sick on the ride from home to school. But still Iloved college, I met great friends, had amazing professors that I still admire; and lucky for me I was on the campus with the good food (most of the football and basketball teams lived on my campus). But I was always happy to come home and curl up with my mom to watch a movie and eat something simple and spectacular that she’d made for me. So in that tradition for SA # 1: Baked Mac & Cheese!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 C. Milk
1 TBSP Flour
6 – 8 cups cheese shredded
1 lbs macaroni
Salt & Pepper

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and return to pot.
2. In a large pot, over low heat, melt butter. When butter is three-quarters melted add milk, then all but 1 cup of the cheese and flour to make cheese sauce. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
* While sauce and macaroni are cooking prepare a 13 X 9 baking dish, spray with cooking spray or rub butter on bottom of dish to prevent sticking.
* If sauce is too thick add additional milk.
* Macaroni and sauce should be ready about the same time

3. Add cheese sauce to the macaroni pot, add in reserved cheese.
4. Pour into baking dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

The top should be brown and the mac & cheese should be firm but not hard when tested with a toothpick.

Sidebar: My search for a pasta maker continues, the one at the local kitchen store was $80, too much to spend when I'm not even sure I'm going to like fresh pasta.

Stay cool!

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com