Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Party in my tummy!


Does anyone one else remember Franco American Macaroni and Cheese? I used to love it and I was heartbroken to find out that Campbell's is no long producing it. Yes, I know this is completely silly, but in my humble opinion Franco American was always better than the instant mac & cheese made out of yellow powder - you know which one I'm talking about. Anyway since we were snowed in here in the Mid-Atlantic earlier in the week (and because I didn't rush to the store to stock up pre-storm) I ended up getting a little creative in the kitchen and somehow stumbled my way into to making a knockoff of one of my favorite childhood meals - Franco American Macaroni & Cheese.

Everything here is a estimate figure, by now you know how I cook, so if you want to repeat just follow the basics and wing it. This is a serving for 1.

1 cup elbow macaroni
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 to 1 oz blue cheese
1 tbsp butter
milk
nutmeg
garlic powder
black pepper

Boil macaroni until just tender, just slightly more tender than al dente. Drain water and turn heat down to low. Add butter and cheeses and splash of milk, season with dash of nutmeg, garlic and pepper, mix well. You're looking for a very creamy texture so add more milk, butter or cheese as needed.

I haven't reattempted since the storm so this might have been a one shot I'm hungry and anything will taste good kind of meal, but I'm hoping not.

In unrelated news, I'm still looking for a Broccoli & Cheese soup - so far no luck all the recipes I keep coming across are for cheese soup with a little broccoli and what I really want is something more like a soup version of my Mom's Broccoli casserole - broccoli, rice, mushrooms and cheese. I'll have to keep looking or bite the bullet and attempt to come up with something on my own.

Happy New Year and thanks for sticking with my inconsistent blogging pattern, which I may have come up with a solution for. In the meantime enjoy Yo Gabba Gabba's tribute to yumminess.

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com