Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

OMG… I have to set it on FIRE!!!!

Ok, that’s a slight exaggeration, the recipe actually states “Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol;” but still it’s fire and no matter how you cut it eyebrows are important. But that’s exactly what I said to myself after reading and re-reading Ina Garten’s Beouf Bourguignon’s recipe, mind you I took a copy of the recipe with me to the store to do the shopping. Once I finally read the recipe the whole why through I got what intimidates me about French food – in the words of Cee Lo: it’s an Xbox and I’m an ATARI. I’m a far from classically trained home cook whose style is more Nigella than Cat Cora, my friends that have seen me cook can and will tell you that I’m organized chaos. I rarely follow a recipe exactly as written; and yesterday’s first attempt at French food was no exception. Although I did try to stick fairly close, after taking a shot for courage I begin. Overall the cooking process was fairly smooth, Ina’s a great recipe writer so that upped my confidence level even when it came time to set the Cognac on fire. Start to finish it took me about 4 ½ hours to make and I actually ended up ordering a pizza for dinner, but the little taste I had was good. I’ll let you know for sure how it turned out later after my parents and I have it for dinner today.


Update/Post Script: Mom & I both agree next time, less wine. It's not inedible, but the wine overpowers more than either of us think it should. Also, I need to use beef stock instead of veggie stock - which I substituted because veggie stock came in 4 pack with 4 individual 1 cup containers.

So there you have it my first attempt a French food: no one died from the food and I didn't set the house on fire from the cooking. And now I know what adjustments to make for my Beouf Bourguignon. At mom's request the next dish I try will be French Onion Soup.

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com