Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The comfort of food

I can honestly say that this was a very bad week, I’ve had and I’m sure will have worse, but there was just something about this week that made me want to curl up in a ball with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with crushed potato chips. Last night I had some “trashy” fast food and while it filled me up for a couple of hours, it brought me no comfort. See for me, at least, comforting food does just that it provides me with comfort. It’s like hearing my nieces and nephew laugh or getting a hug from one of my parents or having a heart to heart with one of my best friends; it lifts me up just enough to let go of the stupid thing causing me unnecessary stress. It helps me to see clearly that the thing that’s bugging me so much is nothing more than a speck without any bearing on the big picture of my life.
Since last night’s “trashy” fast food did nothing to give me comfort, I decided to treat myself to a homemade brunch with 2 things I love, bacon and waffles, with a little twist.
Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread Waffles


1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
¼ cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
1 1/3 cup Milk
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
2 table spoons Pickled Jalapenos*
¼ cup Cheddar – shredded*

Combine all of the ingredients using food processor, if mixing by hand or with a mixer mix dry ingredients then add wet.

Make waffles following directions of your waffle maker.

This is my mom’s basic cornbread recipe with additional milk to thin it out a little for the waffle maker and the addition of the jalapeno and cheddar. Also add as much or as little of the jalapeno to fit your own tastes.

2 comments:

olenska said...

When I come to BGT to do the perfume program, I will bring a pan of homemade baked macaroni & cheese, the most nurturing food I know. If comfort is needed, let it be delivered to you, Miss Gigi!

Gigi said...

Thanks Ms. Meg, I'm also dying to try your Thai curry.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com