Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer loves food (and the feeling is mutual, I'm sure!)

Last weekend we honored and celebrated Memorial Day, the unofficial start of the Summer.


I'm not a fan of the heat and traffic of Summer, but I'm a big fan of the food.  One of my favorite summer foods is Deviled eggs.  Yes, I know that I've stated my loathing of eggs before, but for some odd reason I have always loved deviled eggs.  When I was a kid it was the only way my mom could get me to eat eggs.  Deviled eggs can be made so many different ways, because you just have to add to the basic recipe of mashed yolk, mayo and mustard.  I enjoy added lump crab meat and capers.  I'm not going to tell you how to make deviled eggs, that would be insulting, but here's a few tips I've picked up over the years that I think help make a good deviled egg.


1. Don't use super fresh eggs (don't use old eggs either).  Really fresh eggs can be hard to peel and old eggs, well I think that speaks for itself.

2.  Salt is your friend!  Liberally salt your water, it will prevent the egg shells from cracking during the boiling.

3.  Patience grasshopper, patience.  This is a tough one for me, especially if I'm not making anything other than the eggs.  The eggs really, really need to be fully cooled to get the best end product.

4.  Keep it all in proportion.  For every 3 egg yolks you want to have 2 tsp. of mayo and 1 tsp of mustard.  I don't know why but it just works for me.

5.  Keep it simple.  Yes you can make a variety of eggs, but pick something that works with the egg and is simple.  If you're going to add bacon and onion to the basic recipe, do just that.  Limit your add-ins to 2 things no more, otherwise you'll end up with a hot mess that no one (including yourself) will want to eat.

2 comments:

olenska said...

Great post about a favorite summer food, Miss Gigi! (My favorite incarnation of deviled eggs includes Tony Chachere's super-hot More Spice instead of the usual dusting of paprika up top. Infernal!)
--Miss Meg

Gigi said...

Thank you Miss Meg!

I might have to try the more spice, if I'm making plain eggs and I want a little spice I usually add a dash of tabasco.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com