Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Arugula & I


The truth is I like arugula, but I don’t love it.  Mostly because I once had a salad that was so overloaded with arugula and it had a bitter/peppery taste rather than a sweet/peppery taste. I know how snooty that sounds but trust me too much of a good thing is way too much.  So I’ve stayed away from it for a while now, but in my plan ahead cooking I kept coming across arugula and decided to go for it. 

The first thing I tried, grilled steak and arugula was a from Ina Garten’s newest cookbook Barefoot Contessa: How Easy is That? The beauty of this dish is that you don’t really need a recipe to make it:
  1. Just grill a steak of your choosing, Ina uses a rib-eye and I chose a skirt.
  2. Toss your arugula in a simple dressing of olive oil, Dijon mustard and lemon juice.  I added anchovies to my dressing.
  3. Plate your greens and top it off with slices of steak and curls of Parmesan cheese.


It’s super simple and can really be eaten as a full meal.

The next thing I tried, a Roasted Red Pepper, Arugula and Goat Cheese Sandwich, was from a Weight Watchers cookbook I have, again you don’t really need a recipe for this.  This has become my new favorite grown-up sandwich. 
  1. Spread about a tablespoon of softened goat cheese on each slice of bread.
  2. Fill sandwich with a few roasted red pepper slices and a handful of arugula.

That’s it just eat and enjoy; you can toast your slices or you can build the sandwich and then grill it.  And make sure you use a good crusty bread as the base of your sandwich.

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com