Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pasta confession

If you recall, I was looking for a pasta maker not too long ago.  I’m still looking actually - I just patently refuse to pay $80 for a kitchen device I’m not sure that I’m going to a. use regularly and b. love forever.  Well it’s time that I fess up,  my desire to make fresh pasta was not entirely pure.  Sure fresh pasta has its own appeal, but I really wanted the pasta maker so I could make Pappardelle, a wide flat fettuccine-like pasta perfect for hearty meat sauces.

I don’t remember where I first saw a recipe that used pappardelle, but the fact that I couldn’t find it anywhere at the time, made me want it all the more (yes, it’s true, even when it comes to food, you always want what you can’t have.)  Just about the time I forgot all about that flat wide pasta of my dreams guess what started showing up in my local grocer … that’s right my new favorite noodle.

Pappardelle with Poultry Sausage Ragu
recipe for 2 servings

⅓ lb. Italian Poultry Sausage (2 links)
2 tbsp minced garlic
⅓ c diced onion
16 oz crushed tomatoes or half a jar of a good ready made pasta sauce
1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 to 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
½ to 1 tsp red pepper flakes
½ pkg of ready made pappardelle (4 oz uncooked)

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Remove sausage from casings, brown in oil in large skillet or stock pot.  Add garlic and onion, cook until onions are translucent.  Add sauce, vinegar and seasonings.  Allow sauce to blend for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Add pasta to the sauce and serve with grated parmigiano-reggiano.

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com