Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Getting my appetite back

About 2 weeks ago I declared to two of my closet friends that after two of the most difficult years of my life, I was deciding to only eat comfort food until further notice.  This resulted an immediate phone call from my bestie that began with me ugly crying on the phone (thank goodness I was home alone), and ended with me laughing and somehow promising that I would not dive head first into pan of mac & cheese.  Never the less, I still want and need comfort food right now.  As much as I love mac & cheese, pot roast & mashed potatoes, and brownies; I also happen to find things that are rather healthy comforting also.  So in an effort to keep my promise I’m attempting to eat food that I find comforting that are also healthy.

Inspired by Luisa Weiss’s new book My Berlin Kitchen, this week I made myself a little bit of home in a bowl – Aegean style cucumber salad.

Ingredients:

1 English cucumber

Cherry tomatoes

Kalamata olives

Feta cheese

Olive oil

Red wine vinegar

Kosher salt

Fresh ground black pepper

Preparation:

Wash cucumber and tomatoes.

Cut off ends of cucumber, slice in half into half-moons and slice.  I don’t like my slices too thin.   Slice tomatoes in half.  Drop all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl or storage container.  To the bowl, add the olives and feta.  Season with salt and pepper and dress with olive oil and vinegar, and mix.

I haven’t given any proportions; this is really a cook from the gut kind of salad.  The thing to remember here is you want a balanced dish so add ingredients accordingly.

Image

You can of course eat this upon first making, but no worries if you make a lot, it gets better over a couple of days.

In addition to being a great comfort dish, this simple little salad has helped me get my appetite back after months of eating junk food that’s left me feeling sluggish. 

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com